There are two pubs in the village, The White Horse and The Biddestone Arms both offering homemade food and traditional ales. Just off the centre is a beautiful 12th Century Norman Church, and all around the village are local footpaths for those who like a short or a longer walk.
The cottage is ideal situated for many sporting events such as Badminton Horse Trials (about10 miles), Beaufort Polo Club, Cheltenham Race Course (about one hour drive), exploring the Cotswolds, Wiltshire Downs, as well as delightful local villages and small towns. Woods and fields in the nearby idyllic Bybrook valley provide cool and gentle walks, whilst downland, Fosseway and Ridgeway walks are within half-hour drive.
Close by are the historic villages of Lacock (about 5 miles) and Castle Combe (about 4 miles) and the old market town of Corsham (about 2 miles) with a wide variety of shops, restaurants and amenities.
Within a few miles there is a wide range of eating places, Restaurants, Gastro Pubs and Take-Aways.
Things To Do In The Costolds, Bath And The Surrounding Area
Visit Pretty Local Villages
- Castle Combe – The prettiest village in England. Famous for the filming of Dr Doolittle and War Horse.
- Lacock – Famous from the filming of Cranford, Pride and Prejudice, Mayor of Casterbridge, and Harry Potter.
- Bath – The world heritage city of Bath (10 miles) is famous for its beautiful Georgian architecture and renowned for its festivals, shopping and thermal waters. Access and parking is very easy if you use the Lansdown Park and Ride to Bath.
Places To Visit In Bath:
- Roman Baths
- The new Thermae Bath Spa
- No.1 Royal Crescent
- Museum of Costume
- Jane Austen Centre
- American Museum
- The Theatre Royal
- Boat Trips on River Avon
Gardens To Visit
The Abbey Gardens at Malmesbury, Westonbirt Arboretum, the Courts at Holt, the grounds of Stourhead, Prior Park, Peto Gardens, Iford Manor and National Garden Scheme, search NGS Near You.
Buildings Of Interest
Dyrham Park, Tyntesfield, Great Chalfield Manor, Stourhead, Corsham Court, Bowood, Lacock Abbey and Photographic Museum, Malmesbury Abbey, Wells Cathedral and Farleigh Hungerford Castle.
The world heritage site of Avebury stone circle, Silbury Hill, the Long Barrow at West Kennet, Stonehenge and other lesser well known sites.
Local Industrial Archeology Sites
In Bristol, Brunel’s SS Great Britain, Suspension Bridge, and the waterfront by boat. Locally the Kennet and Avon Canal with its 26 locks at Devizes and the Crofton Steam Beam Engine, and in the Swindon Railway Museum.
Explore Local Walks
Gentle walks from the cottage around the local Bybrook Valley, explore the Eight White Horses and the Wiltshire Downs, Bath Skyline Walks and city centre walking tours. Biddestone is on The Macmillan way and not far from The Fosseway and Ridgeway. The area also provides many opportunities cycling and is on Wiltshire Cycle Way.
Longleat Animal Park, Bristol Zoo, Wookey Hole Caves, Bowood Adventure Playground, Swindon Oasis Swimming Pool with artificial waves, Ten Pin Bowling and The Railway Museum. There is a Children’s playground in the Sports Ground a few minutes walk from the cottage.
Places To Visit In The Area
- Bowood Adventure Park
- Bath Victoria Park
- Wookey Hole Caves
- Salisbury and Stonehenge
- Avebury Stone Circles
- Cotswold Villages
- Bristol Maritime Port – including the Docks and riverside, Brunel’s HMS Great Britain and Suspension Bridge. If you hold a senior travel pass, you can take a free ride to the historic maritime port of Bristol from Biddestone Pond.
Local National Trust Properties
- Lacock Abbey
- Great Chalfield Manor
- The Courts Garden, Holt
- Dyrham Park
- Bath Skyline
- Bath Assembly Rooms
- Prior Park Garden
Corsham (2 miles), Chippenham, Bradford-on-avon, Bath Leisure Centre
- Driving Range at Yatton Keynell (about 2 miles),
- Bath Approach Course
- Manor House Golf Club, Castle Combe
- Cumberwell Park Golf Club